How do I change the oil in my car?
Vehicles are very important these days. They are essential for getting us to various destinations throughout the day. It is important to change your vehicle’s oil about every 3,000-5,000 miles to help your engine continue to run smoothly and make it last longer. How do I change the oil in my car? Glad you asked! Keep reading below to learn more!
Pre-Oil change steps
Before you go to the store to get you supplies, check your owner’s manual to see what kind of oil you need. Read it carefully as the numbers are very close but meant for very different types of engines.
Once you have the correct oil, make sure that all of your supplies are handy. Grab wrenches, the new filter, funnel, drain pan, and gloves.
Read More: How to make your car last longer
Changing your oil
Put your vehicle up on jacks.
- This is so that you have easier access to under your vehicle.
Unscrew the oil filter cap under the hood.
- This helps the oil flow out better.
Position the drain pan right under the drain plug and take out the drain plug.
Let the oil run out.
- Wait an extra couple of
minutes to make sure it is all out.
Once you are sure all of the oil is out, remove the oil filter.
- Make sure that the drain pan is under as some oil might come out of here as well.
Open your new bottle of oil and rub a little bit along the top of the new oil filter.
- This helps the filter seal better.
Put the new filter where the old one was.
- It should only be screwed in about three-quarters of a turn past where the O-ring contacts the sealing surface.
Now, put the drain plug back in.
- You are ready to add oil back to your vehicle!
Slowly pour the new oil into your vehicle.
- Make sure you do not put too much oil in your vehicle. Once this step is complete, put the oil filter cap back on.
Turn on your vehicle and let it run for a couple of minutes.
- This gets the oil going through the engine, and you can check for leaks under your car.
Turn off your vehicle and check the oil level.
- Using the dipstick, make sure there is not too much or too little oil in your vehicle.
You have completed your oil change! Did you read through this and decide that you actually do not want to change your vehicle’s oil yourself? Not a problem! Just fill out our request service form and out our staff will get back to you as soon as possible to schedule an oil change!