How to Change a Flat Tire
Running into a flat tire, whether while driving or when getting ready to get out on the road, can put a major damper on your day. What can make this situation even worse is if you don’t know how to change a tire by yourself. This quick guide from Carizma Motors is here to help you learn how to change a flat tire with just a few easy steps. So, buckle in and get ready to find out how to change a flat tire so the next time you’re caught with a flat you don’t need to search around for a phone to call for help.
What Do I Need to Change a Tire?
There are a few key things you’ll need when you go to change a tire. Supplies for changing a flat tire include:
– Inflated spare tire
– Car jack
– Large rocks or wheel wedges
Steps for Fixing a Flat Tire
If you have walked out to your vehicle and found that it has a flat tire, hop inside and engage the parking brake before getting started. If your tire goes flat while driving, then pull over to a safe area and put on your hazard lights and engage the parking brake.
– Place a wheel wedge or large rock behind the wheels that are opposite of the flat tire. If a front tire is flat put the wedges behind the rear wheels. If it’s a rear wheel that is flat put them in front of the front wheels.
– Use the flat end of your wrench to pop off the flat tire’s hubcap (if it has one).
– Loosen the lug nuts with the wrench by turning them counterclockwise. Do not fully loosen them.
– Place the jack beneath the frame by the flat tire in the designated area along the frame (this can be found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual). Raise the vehicle six inches off the ground.
– Fully loosen and remove the lug nuts and remove the flat tire from the vehicle.
– Place the inflated spare tire on the lug bolts and replace the lug nuts.
– Use your hand to tighten the nuts then finish using the wrench until they are firmly tightened. Lower the vehicle back onto the ground and remove the jack.
– Finish tightening the lug nuts following the order shown in the image to the right.
Read more: How to Prepare a Roadside Emergency Kit
By learning these steps for how to change a flat tire, you’ll be better prepared the next time you find yourself with a flat. If you have any questions about how to handle a flat tire or need to get a spare tire for your vehicle, contact a member of the Carizma Motors team today.